Saturday, December 15, 2012

Soda Pop Jelly

This is such a great easy and cheap last minute gift idea!  Give a few jars as a gift to the in-laws, or maybe just a single jar to teachers, mail carriers, friends, ministers, or whoever else you want to just give a little something to show you care.

When I first heard of this idea, I heard it as cola jelly or root beer jelly, but further research revealed any pop (as we call soda here in Michigan) will work, so I tried it with lemon-lime soda, root beer, orange pop, and cranberry pop.  I went super cheap on which pops I bought by buying generics when they were on sale and I had a store coupon, so they were only $0.58 a flavor!   Both the store and my personal stash were out of standard jelly jars, so I used 4 oz sized ones, but I actually think that is the perfect size for novelty jellies, which I would consider these.

From left to right, lemon-lime soda jelly, root beer jelly, cranberry pop jelly, and orange pop jelly

Soda pop jelly

3 cups sugar
3/4 cup soda pop of your choice
3/4 cup water
1/2 packet liquid pectin (about 1.5 oz)

Combine sugar, pop, and water in a sauce pan.  Quickly bring to a boil, stirring frequently.  Boil until sugar is dissolved and mixture turns clear.  Add pectin.  Stir continuously and boil vigorously for 30 seconds.  Remove from heat and skim.  Pour into sterilized jars and process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes.  Remove and let set undisturbed overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment