Friday, June 22, 2012

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Yes, the date on this post is correct.  It is still June and I'm already worried about Christmas.  Okay, maybe not worried, but definitely taking it into account. 

Am I weird for already considering our Christmas feast?  We don't do the Christmas dinner at our house, but we have a huge brunch for just us, usually consisting of cheese omelets, strawberries, and some sort of delicious baked goods (blueberry muffins, coffee cake, or cinnamon rolls), so I'm trying to make sure we get enough strawberries put up to ensure we don't run out of berries before Christmas!  As I type this (actually last night.  I delayed when it would publish until morning, so people would actually see it), my 7 year old son is finishing up processing an entire flat of strawberries for freezing and we'll be picking up more berries from the market today.

Not only do we need berries for our own personal use for Christmas, but homemade jams seem to be much appreciated gifts, whether it be to un-homesteady family, friends, or just people in our lives we want to show our appreciation to, like coaches, dance instructors, or even the mail lady, so I'm trying to get far more made than we need so I have lots to spare.

I know I'm not super weird for having holiday concerns already, or maybe it just runs in my family, since my mom has been touting her Thanksgiving Challenge since January!  Anyone else thinking about the holidays in terms of what they need to do now?  What's on your to-do list for this summer to be ready for this holiday season?

4 comments:

  1. Funny you should mention this, because I totally agree. I had a friend with a rule to have all her Christmas gifts prepared by the end of Summer, and my husband informed me over breakfast the other morning we should start thinking about the big day on June 26 (six months to get ready). Never too soon to prepare for winter in all its eventualities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are also getting started on the holiday season. This year the extended family is trying for second hand or handmade gifts only. Even little things take time and space to accomplish, especially in a family as large as mine! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In January I started making gifts for Christmas... They tend to take more time to make then you originally thought. Making good progress though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Mom commenting. The Thanksgiving Challenge involves growing as much as possible of your holiday feast. Start small with green beans, or go for the entire meal! Still not too late to plant what you'll serve.

    ReplyDelete