Monday, April 9, 2012

Diabetic Friendly (no artificial anything) Peach Crisp

I made this as a dessert to share for our Easter dinner and it got rave reviews.  I don't think it hurt that I used peaches I had canned last summer (not in a sugar syrup obviously), fresh from the farmers market.  I'm not sure if store bought canned peaches can be bought without a horrible syrup, so you might want to use frozen peaches or stick to fresh.  One of the comments I got was that the peaches tasted fresh picked!  I guess I got that sealing in the freshness down!  If they were in season, I would have used fresh.

I made a larger batch of this, since it was for a family gathering, but it could be easily halved for a single family (or piggy individual).  Just stick it in a 8x8 baking dish rather than a 9x13.

For the batch I made this weekend, "to taste" on the seasonings meant that I handed the cinnamon to my 2 year old and the nutmeg to my 7 year old and told them both to "just put in a couple shakes", knowing full well that the 7 year old would probably listen and the 2 year old would get excited and just start shaking until I told him to stop!
Diabetic-friendly Peach Crisp
2 quarts canned peaches, drained, or about 7 cups fresh
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup whole wheat, nut (almond, acorn, etc), or other low-glycemic flour
cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
2/3 cup agave syrup

Preheat oven to 375.  Arrange peaches evenly in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.  In a small mixing bowl, combine oats, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Stir in agave.  Gently spoon mixture over peaches.  Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.  May be served warm or cold.



2 comments:

  1. Your blogs and every other content is so entertaining and useful It makes me come back again.
    vegetarian recipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quality of information that you are providing is simply marvelous.chef knives

    ReplyDelete