Monday, December 12, 2011

Oops, Fudge & a Meal Plan--X-Treme Food Stamp Challenge

Yesterday started off fairly decently on the food front.  The kids and I enjoyed homemade spinach bagels with cream cheese for breakfast (and I had a Diet Coke, surprise, surprise).  In fact, the kids liked them so much that my daughter sneaked another one when I wasn't looking and my two year old swiped the last few bites of mine off my plate when I was typing up yesterday's post!

It was shortly after breakfast when I came across an easy, healthy-ish recipe for fudge online that was based on a recipe in a book I own, Nourishing Traditions.  Since the book version was closer to what I wanted and had ingredients I actually had on hand, I grabbed it off the shelf and whipped some up.  Check out how easy this stuff is:  throw 1/2 cup softened butter, 1/2 cup cocoa powder (the book said carob powder, but I wanted the good stuff), 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 tsp vanilla, and about 1/8 tsp sea salt in a food processor;  blend it up, then smooth it into a loaf pan lined with plastic wrap (the book said parchment paper, but, again, I'm going with what I had); stick in the fridge to chill for about a half an hour.  Voila!  Almost instant, rich, creamy fudge!

The rest of the afternoon, the kids and I snacked on a little fudge here and there, as well as homemade fruit leathers and dried pears.  At some point, my daughter asked if she could make peanut butter sandwiches for her and her brother and I said that was fine, mentally scratching off "coming up with lunch" off my mental "to-do" list (which is a lot more in-depth than my actual to do list). 

At nearly 8pm, I realized that I must have accidentally scratched my lunch off my mental to-do list as well, since all I'd eaten all day was that bagel, a little fudge, and a fruit leather.  Oops.  Dinner for the kids was the last of the leftover zesty mac and cheese, and a little tomato soup.  I had the rest of the tomato soup, what didn't boil over onto the stove when I was changing a diaper anyway, and one and a half grilled cheese sandwiches (real cheddar.  Yum!).  My daughter helped herself to the other half of one of my sandwiches.  I had a Diet Coke with dinner and the kids had juice.

Shortly after dinner, I started to herd the monkeys to bed, since we had to get up "early" today.  Hey, 9:30 is early for us!  By this time, my mighty hunter husband had returned from his latest hunting attempt and had a little fudge as well.  I had a bit of chips and homemade salsa and went to bed as well.
---------------------
This week, I'm going to try to get the freezer more stocked with ready to heat and eat meals.  I really liked the half and half deal with that chicken and rice casserole I made last week, where we ate half then and froze the other half for another day, so I tracked down the book that originally inspired the internet recipe I was working off of, The Best Make-Ahead Recipe, from the library and found a few more recipes to mutilate until they are completely unrecognizable from their current form, because that's how I roll.  Here is this week's meal plan, with a heavy emphasis on trying to cook a fair number of meals for during the holiday madness as well: 

Monday: spaghetti & meatballs (in marinara sauce from the book)
Tuesday: pasties
Wednesday: venison stew
Thursday: creamy baked penne & chicken with mushrooms
Friday: chili
Saturday: chicken enchiladas
Sunday: venison pot pie


No comments:

Post a Comment