Monday, March 28, 2011

Meatless Monday--Black Beans and Rice with Fried Plantains

I spent a summer in Miami years ago, where I experienced a lot of Cuban food that I loved!  Unfortunately, I didn't cook at the time, so I didn't think to get the recipes.  In years since, I've longed for some of the same dishes, but my taste buds don't remember well enough what exactly they tasted like to get the exact same food.  Fortunately, except for the bread, which I have no idea or even leads on, I managed to find some food that I really enjoy that bears enough resemblance to keep my memories, such as they are, happy, even if it is probably strongly lacking in authenticity.

Black Beans & Rice

1 tsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 cup uncooked white rice
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3 1/2 cups beans (prepared from dried or canned, drained and rinsed)

In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.  Add the onion and saute for 4 minutes.  Add the rice and saute for 2 more minutes.  Add the vegetable broth, garlic, cumin, and cayenne.  Bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat.  Cook for 20 minutes.  Remove from heat, let stand for 10 minutes then add beans.  Serve topped with sour cream, if desired.

Fried Plantains
Plantains are basically giant bananas.  You can find them next to the "normal" bananas at most grocery stores.  You probably could make this recipe with regular bananas and get pretty similar results, but I've never tried.

1/4 cup olive oil 
2 tbsp butter
3 very ripe plantains, peeled and cut in 1-inch thick slices
3 tbsp brown sugar

Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until butter begins to sizzle.  Toss the plantain slices with brown sugar.  Gently place slices in the hot oil.  Fry until the plantains begin to turn golden brown, about 2 minutes, then turn over.  Continue frying until the plantains have caramelized, about another 2 minutes.  Drain plantains on a paper towel lined plate before serving.

1 comment:

  1. The plantain recipe sounds great. I'll have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete