Monday, March 21, 2011

Meatless Monday--Greek Spinach Feta Quiche

When I discovered this quiche recipe last year, it completely revolutionized my dealings with quiche!  Previously, I had a lot of trouble getting quiche to set just right, because I insist on using whatever milk I have on hand rather than spending considerably more for cream, and it was difficult to get the timing right to get the quiche to set, and even if I could, it took a lot longer to cook!

This is my absolutely favorite quiche recipe I've ever had, but there are many variations of quiche, if spinach and feta aren't your things or if it costs more than you'd like to spend.  I'll admit, the pine nuts in this recipe make it a bit pricier than my usual recipes, but it is well worth it!  If you want to reduce the cost some, mushrooms can be substituted for the pine nuts for a little different flavor.

Greek Spinach Feta Quiche

2 tbsp butter
1 medium onion, diced
2/3 tsp dried parsley (or 2 tsp fresh)
1/3 tsp dried basil (or 1 tsp fresh)
1/4 cup pine nuts (or 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms)
10 oz package frozen spinach, thawed (or 6 cups fresh baby spinach)
6 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
6 oz feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 tsp grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 375.  Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.  Add onion, herbs, pine nuts, and fresh spinach (if using); cook, stirring occasionally about 5 minutes or until the onions are soft, pine nuts start to brown, and spinach has cooked down.  Remove from heat; if using frozen spinach, squeeze excess moisture out and stir into onion mixture.

In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, feta, salt, and pepper.  Stir in the spinach mixture.  Pour into pie crust and spread evenly.  Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top.  Bake 30-40 minutes or until puffed and light brown and the center is set.

4 comments:

  1. I think Im gonna try this one day next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE quiche! One of my favorites, and an addiction of mine I must admit. I've tried several different quiche recipes, but I have never tried one with feta. I will be adding this to my menu plan! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have allergies to cows milk but my family can do fine with sheep or goat milk cheeses. (As we're only allergic to cow's whey and not casein, there are a few dairy products we can do.)

    Anyway, you can get real feta cheese cheap at American International Bulk Foods in Lansing on South Pennsylvania a little north of Meijer. (One parking lot north of Pet Supplies Plus.) I think their real Greek (sheep-goat blend) feta is $8-9/pound but I buy 2-lbs of Bulgarian brined sheeps milk cheese for $9.99. Whichever you choose i WAY better than the 4oz containers of American cows milk feta(ish) cheese in the supermarket.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I'll have to remember that next time I'm in the area with a few bucks in my pocket! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete