Saturday, March 5, 2011

Shipwreck

Growing up, one of the reasons I liked to go to my cousins' grandparents' house (not our shared grandparents, the other ones) was that their grandma made a yummy dish for dinner called shipwreck.  I never had it anywhere else, and am not sure I remembered what exactly was in it, but I remember liking it a lot.  Years later, around the time I got married, I came across a recipe for something also called shipwreck.  I have no idea whether it actually is the same dish and I tweaked it after I found it, but my family enjoys it and it is a good use of foods that store a long time, so I figured it was worth a share.  Since I have some cooking in the oven at the time I'm writing this, I figured now was a good time to share, since I'm not inviting you all to dinner tonight!

Shipwreck
4 potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 lb ground meat of your choice
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (10.75 oz) can condensed tomato soup
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Arrange the potato slices in the bottom of a two quart casserole dish.  Crumble the ground meat over top of the potatoes.  Spread the onion slices over the meat.  Layer the beans on top of the onions and spread the soup over top.  Cover and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove cover and bake for an additional hour.

10 comments:

  1. Best Dinner Ever!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I get the recipe right then? I never got around to asking Joyce for the actual recipe, although that would have been the best way to do it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks great, when the weather cools down, I shall feed it to my family and see how they like it. (Too many fusspots, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely isn't a summer recipe, so good call on waiting over there in Australia (for anyone reading these comments later that may not realize that's why the weather has to cool down! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only thing I remember from hers that isn't in this recipe is sliced carrots (medallions). :) This post was a nice reminder of her awesome cooking...I haven't had shipwreck in years, but its on the menu this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i made this today for dinner, but along w everything else, i added yellow peppers, fresh green beans, and an extra can of soup. i used red skin potatoes. it was really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course it was yummy (well, I don't know about the green beans and peppers, but the rest, of course it was yummy)! I don't post sucky recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband's mom made a casserole called "Shipwreck", also. She didn't bother pre-cooking the meat and potatoes, but I do.

    Starts with the bottom layer: ground beef, then sliced potatoes, (canned) brown beans, corn niblets, rice, diced tomatoes on top.

    Bake at 350 degrees F, for 1 hour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Forgot to mention: I've been voting for your garden the last 5 days or so, but starting yesterday the site says I've already voted that day, which I'm pretty sure I haven't. I'm not very good at interacting with the web, so not sure what to do, re-register?

    ReplyDelete
  10. There seems to be a glitch in a system that makes that happen sometimes. Not really sure what to do about it. :-(

    ReplyDelete