Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Natural Mosquito Spray


A couple of my friends noticed a few mosquitoes flitting about around the swingset after church Sunday, so I guess I should make up a batch of mosquito spray soon, just as soon as I remember to buy witch hazel and a spray bottle, since I lost both of those when we moved here apparently.  I usually end up forgetting and just end up rubbing catnip on the kids before sending them out, since catnip oil is a natural mosquito repellent and just rubbing fresh leaves gets enough on you to do the job, or applying a poultice of chewed up broad leaf plaintain leaves on them (or me) after getting bit!
Broadleaf plantain.  (Consult an expert before attempting using wild foraged remedies.)


Prevention really is the best, especially with the risk of nasty viruses being spread by those vicious bloodsuckers though!  With that in mind, here's a recipe for mosquito repellent that worked really well for us last year.  I made some of this before a fishing trip to a very mosquito-y area and, between all six of us, we got two bites total and those were on a spot that I don't think I sprayed very well on my daughter because I would worried about it getting in her eyes. I'd call that a definite success!  My husband is no longer tempted by his toxic DEET sprays he used to be so fond of!

Combine the following in a spray bottle:

1 cup purified water
2 tsp witch hazel
4 drops each of the following essential oils: tea tree, lavender, eucalyptus, cedarwood, basil, and rosemary

Shake well before each use and apply as you would any bug spray.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for this recipe, I'm going to try it out soon (please don't ask me where I found your blog, it was just one of those things, but I really like it!). IF

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never ask that. Blogger is kind enough to show me an overview of where people (as a whole, not individuals) come from to find me and that's all the info I need. The important thing is that you are here and I'm glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely gonna try this one since I spend tons of time outdoors especially after dark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this! I sure hope it works since we live in AK where they call the mosquito the "State Bird". I would love to have a natural alternative to the nasty chemical stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use vanila extract and it works very well..just put it in a spray bottle and mist before heading outside. Been using this for years and it's effective! Also, another mixture that I learned of recently is witch hazel, pennyroyal and lavender. Also quite effective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe, look forward to trying this out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I found your blog from the Circle of Moms Eco-Moms list and ironically, my most recent post was on mosquito bite relief!!! I added a comment to my post with this URL, because it seemed so timely!

    My post is http://www.greenlifestyleconsulting.com/2011/04/greening-your-camping-mosquito-bite.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. GLC, that's funny that you just posted on such a similar subject. Thanks for adding the comment to your post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neat! I will try this. We have an issue with this here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for posting this. Funny that your short cut is catnip, I like to use artemisia and citronella. I have planted these around the yard too to ward off pesky bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. everyone here just said : I will try it , and then disappeared which could either mean: they did not try it at all, or the spray did not work out?

    I would like to hear some comments from someone that really tried it and hopefully it worked?

    ReplyDelete
  12. dumb question but where do you get the essence oils?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a dumb question. You can get essential oils at health food stores, new age store, or order them online.

      Delete
  13. We are having a horrible time with mosquitoes this year in mississippi...they are attacking my dogs every time they go out! Is this safe for pets also?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have access to the book I usually refer to for info on pets, but if I remember right, tea tree oil can cause irritation on pets (especially cats, but dogs too). Cedarwood and lavender are definitely safe though, so you could TRY a version with just those, or maybe ask your vet if the others would be okay.

      Delete
  14. Oh we have SUCH a horrible time with mosquitoes here in Arkansas. 2 years ago was the worst season, I had over 50 bites just on my ankles. Apparently I'm very appetizing to them. How long does this mixture last in the spray bottle? Would I be able to make up a batch and use it a week or so later? Or would it be best to make the batch right before?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thumbs up guys you are really carrying out a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The mixture of natural spray to fight against mosquitoes is useful and I hope it will work greatly.
    mosquito barrier

    ReplyDelete
  17. You can get essential oils at health food stores, new age store, or order them online.In case you are allergic to commercial repellents, you will be happy to know that we are offering you a very safe Natural Mosquito Repellent that can be used by people of all ages, including babies.

    ReplyDelete