Monday, April 25, 2011

Meatless Monday--Ratatouille on Rice


This is one of my absolute favorite meals, but, unfortunately, no one else in my house likes it, so I only get to eat it very rarely.  It would be a great dish to serve for vegetarian or even vegan company (minus the feta) though.  One of the reasons I'm sharing this right now is that most of this can be grown in a home garden, which makes it a super cheap meal, even with the feta cheese in there, and it's time to get planting if you haven't already!  (The other reason I made it is that my husband irritated me last week when I was making the meal plan for the week, so I made something I really love that I knew he hated.  Never piss off the person in charge of making your meals!  MUHAHAHA!)



Ratatouille on Rice

1 medium onion, chopped
¾ tsp garlic powder or 3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large potato, cut into ½ inch cubes
1 medium eggplant, cut into l inch cubes
1 28-oz can petite diced tomatoes, juice reserved (or equivalent home canned)
1 ½ cups water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 medium to large zucchini or summer squash, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp fresh dill or 1 tsp dried dill
Ground black pepper to taste
Cooked rice
Feta cheese crumbles

In a large pot, sauté the onion and garlic in the oil until just soft. Add the potato, eggplant, juice from tomatoes, water, salt, and rosemary. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered until potatoes start to soften, about 10 minutes. Add the squash and bell pepper. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, lemon juice, and dill. Simmer an additional 5 minutes until vegetables are tender. Add pepper to taste. Serve on rice, topped with the feta cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment