Monday, September 26, 2011

Homemade Pop Tarts

I decided to try some of these last night when I had a bit of leftover pie crust dough from the chicken pot pie.  I used ground cherry jam, since that's what was in the fridge--plus my 6 year old had been refusing to try the ground cherry jam, but I figured he wouldn't be able to resist pop-tarts!  Turns out I was right and he loved it.  Plus, we all loved the pop tarts.

Since I knew that these wouldn't last long enough to attempt to stick in a toaster (I wouldn't put them in a toaster anyway, since I'd be too paranoid that the jam would drip out and start a fire, but that's just me.  Seems like if they are pop tarts you should be able to toast them), I just made them round, since that was the most convenient cutter shape for me to grab and I didn't want to freestyle cut rectangles with a knife, knowing full well that I would never manage to make them the same size and shape that way!

This time, we didn't let them cool long enough to frost, but it would be easy to make a quick glaze of powdered sugar with just enough milk to make it spreadable to frost them in the future.

Pop-tarts

pie crust
jam
powdered sugar (optional)
milk (optional)

Preheat oven to 450.  Roll out pie crust and cut into desired shapes.  Dollop about a teaspoon of jam on half of the shapes.  Cover jam with the shapes that are left and press edges together to seal.  Place on baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until light golden brown.  Cool completely before frosting.  To frost, put some powdered sugar in a small bowl and add just enough milk to make spreadable.  Let frosting set before serving.

2 comments:

  1. I was at my sister-in-laws house over the last weekend and she was making corn dogs for everyone. I stood there in the kitchen thinking if they would be safe for my son to eat. Then I remembered your post and cut a hotdog into quarters before she dipped them. It was perfect. It would have never have crossed my mind to cut them first if I hadn't read the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops I posted on the wrong post. This was for the corn dog post.

    ReplyDelete