Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Thinking About Giving Up--A Trailer Park Homestead update


Not permanently, of course, but I am giving up on a lot of my plants for the year.  I put a couple of the formerly controversial beds to rest yesterday by pulling out the remaining cucumber and watermelon plants.  They didn't have any flowers or fruit on them, so I figured they didn't have time before the weather declared me done to go from no flowers to edible yummies.  I'll probably go around to check out the other plants in the next few days to see if others could go as well.  I'm trying to spread out my tidying up of the yard so I'm not pounded by doing it all at once, probably when the weather is icky enough that I don't want to!  I decided to let the remaining beans dry out for use as seed as well, since I don't know how much longer I have until the contractor will need them pulled to put the floor in the garage, but it doesn't seem like I probably have much time left and I don't want to risk not having seed for next year by waiting too long.

In addition to intentional plant killing, a lot of my plants aren't doing so well on their own.  The frost Friday didn't get them, but fungal infections and underwatering may have.
Leaf spot and the removal of infected areas of the plants has left my 'maters looking sad.
Fortunately, it isn't all doom and gloom (yet.  That's coming soon though!).  The fall garden is still going strong. 
The sunflower pea/bean teepee idea seems to work fairly well as far as I've taken it so far.  I decided to just try one for right now on the mini pea patch up front and, if that works well, I'll expand to all over the yard, where ever I have peas or beans next year.  I think it would work better if I put the teepee in first so I don't have to worry about the plants right there, rather than retroactively shoving it into the ground like I did here.
Toward the back of the yard, it looks like I could stand to start harvesting some spinach again!  Yay!  Been a while since I've had any of that!

The carrots in the back raised bed are going nuts!  They are soooo cute!  It looks kind of like a fuzzy green afro!  Love it!  I may try to keep this area going into the winter, with all its cold hearty plants.

Here's something else we haven't had in a while that has reentered the snacking in the yard rotation:  snap peas!  I'm especially proud of these since I didn't buy these seeds; they are ones I saved from the spring crop!  I didn't plant a lot, so I don't know that I'll be able to freeze any, or at least not a lot, but I wanted to make sure I had plenty of seed for next year.

2 comments:

  1. I'm about ready to "give up" as well - I don't think my tomato plants are going to produce (I only have one flower), and it's too late, I think, for my pumpkin plant. Next year I will plant it in full sun rather than partial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am weary of the garden too! It's that time of year, I think. BTW I hope you and your landlord can come to some type of good agreement for next year so that you don't have to deal with all the insanity.

    ReplyDelete