Saturday, January 14, 2012

Chicken Lemon Rice Soup

The cold, cold weather is back.  With it, comes the need for soup.  Chicken lemon rice soup has long been one of my favorite soups.  When I made it the other day, I actually used some of the leftover Christmas turkey that I never froze instead (I canned it.  It was fine, it just sounds funny to me to mention that I never froze it) of the chicken and turkey broth instead of chicken, but either works fine.  This recipe could also be made vegetarian by omitting the meat and using vegetable stock instead of poultry.

Chicken Lemon Rice Soup

7 cups chicken stock
1-2 cups of cooked chicken pieces
1/2 cup white rice
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 eggs, lightly beaten
4 tbsp fresh, chopped parsley
salt, to taste
white pepper, to taste
black pepper, to taste

Heat stock to boiling.  Add chicken, rice, and garlic.  Cover and reduce heat to simmering; simmer until rice is tender, about 25 minutes.  Mix together lemon juice and egg and slowly add to soup.  Stir in parsley, salt, and pepper.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. Tell me, is the final product very lemony, or is the lemon taste more subtle?

    ReplyDelete