Monday, January 16, 2012

Meal Plan Monday--January 16-22

I finally will be able to get some groceries Saturday!  Yay!  I am going to use WIC, which started for the month yesterday, to pick up some lettuce, since, sadly, I have declared my indoor garden dead and need to restart it in order to have homegrown lettuce, but other than that and other WIC items like milk, Monday through Friday is still in "no-grocery-buying" mode (Holy run-on sentence, Batman!).  We're still eating well though, thanks to the power of planning ahead and preservation, so my gardening goodies (and my mom's gardening goodies too), hunting spoils (but not spoiled hunting spoils!), and reward for helping a family member (chicken) still are keeping our bellies happy. Here's the meal plan for the week:

Monday: clean out the fridge night

Tuesday: corn & potato chowder
Wednesday: venison stew

Thursday: spaghetti and meatballs in marinara sauce

Friday: soft tacos

Saturday: chicken breasts, baked sweet potatoes, and sauteed green beans

Sunday: vegetable lasagna

2 comments:

  1. I have to laugh - we're having venison stew for dinner tonight! :) I might reprise my delicious focaccia bread to go with it, as it turned out very nice and everyone liked it (plus it doesn't use much of anything to make it and it lasts for a couple of days). I had to look at my potato supply and make decisions earlier in the week - I have only 3 medium ones to last until Friday or Saturday, and we're having stew tonight. I do have packages of instant mashed though, so I'll put the taters IN the stew and if necessary will use the instant to thicken it. Lots of carrots, though... we're lucky in that our local grocery store has local (within 50 miles) organic carrots for $0.69 a pound, so I usually get these huge bags that last forever. Onions are getting low but I found a stash of shallots from a salmon recipe we did at Christmas, so I'm going to use those in the stew as well.

    Tomorrow night we're having flank steak. Only it isn't flank steak... it's venison backstrap that I found in the freezer, and we're doing it up with our favorite flank steak recipe. You pound the heck out of the meat until it's very thin, then you stick it in a baggie with soy sauce, pickle relish, bit of wine, garlic, and something else that I can't remember, and marinate for 3-5 days. Every time you open the fridge you squish it around to move the marinade. Then you cook it under the broiler or on the bbq at a high heat for only a few minutes (it should be rare, or medium rare at best), cross cut it, and serve it with anything. We *devour* this stuff no matter what meat we use when making it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That soup and bread looks sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete