Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Imitation Raspberry Jelly--Grandma's recipes archival project

I've been meaning for years to copy all my grandma's recipes from her recipe box and then pass the box on to another relative, but it just hasn't been happening.  So now, I think I'm going to try to archive them this way, sharing one at a time as blog posts.  I think it is interesting to share as a way to honor my ancestor, as well as being a (mostly) interesting bit of food history.

I don't know if I've ever had all or even any of these recipes and am not planning on trying them all before posting them like I do with my own recipes.  This is an archive project, so I'm just sharing them as is, in the form I find them in, on these little index cards like shown below or the occasional scrap of paper.  Flipping through them, I've seen a number I know I won't try since they contain ingredients like the raspberry jello in this one or artificial sweeteners, but they are still kind of cool from a historical perspective.  To put a little perspective on the time frame these recipes were collected in, without oversharing personal information, my grandma lived from 1915 to 2001.


No comments:

Post a Comment