Sunday, November 13, 2011

Mexican Lasagna

Today's post is by Patricialynn of Allure of Hearth and Home because I am sick.  Hopefully, I will be up and around soon, because I just don't have time for this, but in the meantime, here ya go. 

My family loves Mexican food, so we usually always have the supplies on hand to make several Mexican dishes. But even if you don’t, this dish is worth buying all the individual ingredients for! It’s mouth-wateringly good, and remarkably filling. Best of all, it’s easy to adapt to your own tastes. For us, we usually make this dish near the end of the pay period, when leftovers from previous Mexican dishes are needing to be used up. Also, we live in a predominately Hispanic neighborhood, so I’ve become spoiled on homemade tortillas and refried beans from our lovely neighbors.

I’m not going to put down specific amounts, simply because the amount you use varies depending on the size of the dish you are cooking in, and the number of layers you are creating.  But here is what I use, in the order in which I layer the lasagna:

Whole wheat tortillas
Refried beans
Taco meat (my kids prefer beef, I prefer chicken)
Mexican rice
Black beans
Sweet corn
Cheese (either plain cheddar or a Mexican blend)

Bake at 350. If you have two layers, bake for about 25 minutes. For each additional layer, add seven minutes. If you are going with more than three layers, you may want to add the final layer, the cheese topping, part-way through the cooking time, so the cheese doesn’t dry out and get crusty.

I do not make the layers very thick. The taco meat, black beans and sweet corn are only sprinkled on. I think thick layers of those ingredients would be overkill.

Of course, the best way to enjoy this dish is to top it off with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and sour cream, but that will add to the overall price of the dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment