Friday, March 4, 2011

Homemade Lip Balm--one more thing I'll never have to buy again!

I did something decidedly un-thrifty the other day.  I washed my jeans--with my one and only lip balm tube in the pocket.  When I found it in the dryer, it was completely empty.  I assume it liquified and got washed away.  Meanwhile, Michigan winters don't lend well to not having something to moisturize one's lips.  I am very picky about what sorts of products I use on my body, since staying away from toxins is part of my long-term thriftiness, so I doubt I'd be able to pop into the very limited store selections here in Webberville and find something suitable, and with gas prices around $3.50 a gallon, making a special trip to another town for lip balm is hardly an acceptable option either.  So what is a penny-wise gal like myself supposed to do?  Why, make my own, of course!


I couldn't believe how easy it was to do this!  I simply melted 3 tbsp grated beeswax and 5 tsp of a carrier oil (I used olive oil, because that's what I had on hand) together over very, very low heat.  Technically, I should have used a double-boiler, but I don't have one and didn't want to bother, so I was just very careful about my very, very low heat.  Then, I removed it from heat and I added a few drops of vanilla extract (6-7 drops of essential oil or vitamin E oil would have also worked, but I wanted to try the vanilla.  Next time, I think I'll use the E, so it will be extra moisturizing) and a teaspoon of honey.  I mixed it up really well, poured it into the empty tube from my incident the other day and another container for the overflow, and let it cool.  That's it!  Easy peasy and it used things I happened to have on hand, so I didn't have to go buy anything!  Yay!

6 comments:

  1. So glad to read this! I have been wanting to dabble in this, especially since last year, when i discovered i had my own supply of natural honey from a hollow log that the bees took up residency in, and we collected some comb etc...I also became intrigued by bees wax products and honey when a local apiary here started to make their own hand creams etc...real simple, real lovely etc...something i could be doing too! Anyways, thanks for sharing this, i'll have to give this a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha NEAT! You are so resourceful Chris. You are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this! where did you get beeswax?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought mine direct from some beekeepers that had a booth at a festival I was at, but I've also seen it for sale at farmers' markets and health food stores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    Thanx for posting this! I like to use the medicated lip balm if I made this what would I use instead of the vanilla to make it like the medicated balm? Looking foward to making this - gonna save all my tubes now.

    Thanx again!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones you buy probably have camphor oil in them, but tea tree oil should also work.

      Delete