Sunday, July 24, 2011

Cranberry Walnut Oatmeal Cookies

At one point in my life, when my oldest son was quite young, I had nearly perfected a almost entirely healthy oatmeal cookie that was little more than oats, fruit, and flour.  Unfortunately, I never wrote it down and then I went through a period of several years where I didn't bake any cookies.  During that time, I forgot the recipe and now it is lost.  I'll probably recreate it, maybe even come up with an even better version someday, but it probably won't be for a while yet, since right now it is impossible to keep bananas in the house for more than an hour or so before the kids gobble them up and one thing I do remember about that recipe is that it involved banana.  In the meantime, this is the recipe I use.  Not as healthy, but still tasty.  Like just about any recipe, the exact dried fruits and nuts used can vary depending on taste preference and what you have on hand.

Cranberry Walnut Oatmeal Cookies
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
1/2 cups walnuts, crushed

Heat oven to 375.  Mix all ingredients except oats, flours, cranberries, and nuts.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet or baking stone.  Bake about 10 minutes or until light brown.  Allow to cool on cookie sheet

No comments:

Post a Comment