Thursday, October 20, 2011

Apple Spice Cookies--Week 4 of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies

I have it on good authority (my 4 year old daughter) that Santa would approve of these cookies, even with the whole grains and fruit in them.
I've been trying to make my contributions to the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies a little healthier, with ingredients like fruits, nuts, and whole grains.  My kids and picky husband haven't noticed.  With the overload of flat out junk food during the holidays, I'm trying to make them a teensy bit healthier, so we can relax a little more and enjoy ourselves--not worry as much about the overload of sugary treats we are being constantly tempted with.  I'm not going to guarantee that this is what will be happening for the next 8 weeks, because I give in to temptation sometimes too, but I'm trying....and I hope you enjoy my efforts.

Apple Spice Cookies

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, plain or cinnamon
1 egg
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Beat together brown sugar, butter, applesauce, and egg.  Stir in flour, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, and salt.  Mix in raisins.  Drop dough by rounded teaspoons onto an ungreased baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.  Bake 10 minutes, or until set.  Let cool before removing from baking sheets.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are this week's other cookie and sweet recipes for the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies:

7 comments:

  1. Yum! These sound great! I'd bet my 4 year old would also give them a thumbs up for Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound so good!! I love anything with cinnamon and apples. Great idea to use wheat flour!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look and sound very good. Nice job, keeping it on the healthier side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Applesauce, raisins and spice make a mighty fine cookie! Those sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apple spice cookies? I love the sound of these! Great recipe. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. The taste of applesauce in a cookie ... who wouldn't love one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com

    ReplyDelete