Monday, October 3, 2011

Mouthwatering Burritos--a new take on leftovers

I'm always on the lookout for new recipes.  Two kinds of recipes that especially appeal are super quick, easy recipes that still use real food, not a bunch of prepackaged convenience "food", and recipes that use random bits of leftovers in a new and delicious way.

Burritos fit both of these criteria.  The other night when I didn't feel like cooking, I came up with this to use some leftover rice, some salsa that no one was eating and I was worried it would go bad soon, and a partial can of refried beans.  It is good enough that I might consider making up fresh rice, opening a jar of salsa specifically for it, and opening a can of refried beans as well! 

Burritos
cooked rice
salsa
refried beans
large flour tortillas
Cheddar, Monteray jack, colby or a "Mexican" cheese blend
sour cream (optional)
other fillings such as guacamole, seasoned meat, lettuce, etc (optional)
2 tbsp olive oil

Combine the rice with the salsa in desired proportions and heat through.  Spread a thin layer of refried beans on each tortilla.  Layer seasoned rice, cheese, and any other toppings onto the burrito and fold.  Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.  Place burrito on skillet and gently brown each side before serving.


2 comments:

  1. Hahaha we were having leftover burritos last night! ~grins~ Have you tried making your own refried beans? It's surprisingly easy and low-cost to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not...yet. It is one of the things I'll be trying out this winter, I suspect.

    ReplyDelete