Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Easy Caramel Apples + Cararmel Dipping Sauce

When I see what some people charge for caramel apples, my thought, just like chocolate covered frozen bananas, is you want how much for that?  It isn't like they are hard to make.  Sometimes you can even get caramels free (not to mention apples can sometimes be found free in someone's yard or along side the road) if you save enough from parades or something.  I used reusable popsicle sticks to eliminate the cost and waste of disposable wooden sticks. 

Caramel Apples
approximately 50 caramel cubes
2 tbsp water
4-6 apples, depending on size

Remove wrappers from candies and place in a small saucepan with the water.  Heat gently, stirring constantly, until the caramel is melted and smooth.  Cover a plate with wax paper; heavily butter the waxed paper and set aside.  Skewer apples on popsicle sticks.  Dip apples into melted caramel, spooning over the apple to coat as needed.  Let excess caramel drip off back into the pan.  Place apples on prepared plate.  Refrigerate for at least an hour.  Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before serving.
 I always end up not having enough caramel, because I try to do too many apples, or too much caramel, because I decide to play it safe and not do too many apples!  I figured out a way to use up the extra caramel though:  caramel dip!  I actually prefer dipping apple slices into caramel dip anyway, so I can leave the caramel apples for the kids.

Caramel Dip
1 part caramel
1 part milk

Melt caramel in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.  Stir in an equal amount of milk and keep stirring until smooth and creamy.  Can be served warm or cold.  Refrigerate any unused portions.

No comments:

Post a Comment