Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Popcorn Chicken

Yes, I know this isn't the healthiest thing I've ever posted (and I'm kind of embarrassed by all the fried food I've posted), but it is tasty--and still healthier than buying the stuff you'd get if you eat out or buy the processed junk at the store.  If you try to avoid factory farmed meats (the meat pictured here was purchased at a farmers market), this also lets you do that and still enjoy the guilty pleasures you might otherwise enjoy.

At first, I was planning on making chicken tenders or strips, but then I realized that the meat would go farther in smaller pieces...and I had an interesting idea with what to do with leftovers (which I will try to post later in the week.  The recipe calls for 2 pounds of meat, but in my house that means I either halve the recipe or make planned leftovers.  I don't think we ever eat more than a pound of meat for one family meal!

Popcorn Chicken

1/2 cup finely ground whole wheat flour (stone ground will not work in this recipe)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 lbs chicken, cut to desired size
vegetable oil for frying

Mix flour, salt, paprika, onion powder, and pepper in a plastic baggy.  Add a few little pieces of chicken at a time, close bag, and shake to coat chicken.  Set coated pieces aside until they are all coated.  

Heat oil. 1/4 inch deep, in a large skillet.  Cook chicken until light brown, anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes depending on size of pieces.  Turn as needed to make sure they are evenly cooked.  Remove from heat and drain on paper towel before serving.

1 comment:

  1. You can also make the same recipe but rather than frying, drizzle with a little bit of oil and bake in the oven! They will still be crispy!

    ReplyDelete