Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Whole Wheat Coffee Cake

Yesterday's breakfast: ww coffee cake, cheese omelet, & grapes
It was always a special morning growing up when my mom would make coffee cake.  Unfortunately, I'm so not a morning person, it happens even less frequently in my house as an adult, usually only for special occasions.  Sometimes I just want something though, and yesterday was one of those mornings.  This isn't the same exact recipe as my mom uses (I'm pretty sure anyway), but I like that most of the flour is whole wheat, since I try to sneak in whole grains instead of the more processed refined products whenever I can (in case you haven't noticed that from my recipes!).

Whole Wheat Coffee Cake
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tbsp butter, firm
----
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup milk
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a 9x9x2 baking pan.  Combine brown sugar, 1/4 cup ww flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl.  Cut in 3 tbsp butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.  In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients.  Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping the side of the bowl frequently.  Pour half of batter into the baking pan.  Sprinkle half of the brown sugar mixture into the pan.  Spread remaining batter in the pan and top with remaining brown sugar mixture.  Bake for 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment