Sunday, October 30, 2011

Great Aunt Marguarite's Johnnie Cake

My johnnie cakes (aka cornbread) had a greenish tinge to them since I used cornmeal made from the green dent corn of my garden.
I'm considering undertaking a project of archiving family recipes on here.  Some of them will be in the handwriting of the person that I got them from, but this is not one of those recipes.  It is a family recipe (Great Aunt Marguarite was my grandpa's sister), but I'm copying this from a typed up (by me) version of the original.  When I make it, I use whole wheat flour in place of the white flour and sea salt instead of "regular" salt (because that's how I roll) and I use milk and butter, rather than the buttermilk and shortening option, but in the interest of preserving family history, I'm copying the recipe exactly as it appears on my copy (where ever I got it from.  I'm not even sure where I got my copy from!).


Great Aunt Marguarite's Johnnie Cake

1 cup freshly ground corn meal
1 cup white flour
1/4 -1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk or buttermilk
1/4 cup soft shortening or 1/2 cup butter

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease 8" pan or muffin pan.  Beat together cornmeal, flour, sugar, and salt until just mixed.  Beat in baking powder, egg, milk, and shortening until just mixed.  Pour into pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. You totally read my mind this morning! I had planned on making cornmeal items this week. I've been craving them, and sis made lots of bacon this weekend (yay for snowed in guests!), so I saved the grease. I omit one tablespoon of butter and add one tablespoon of bacon grease for these kinds of things because it doesn't add TOO many calories, and it just tastes so dang good! ;) I'll be trying this out later today, I am guessing. *smile*

    ReplyDelete