Monday, May 2, 2011

Meatless Monday--Southwest casserole

I got a hankering for something involving black beans, rice, tomatoes, and corn the other day.  I didn't have a recipe for any such thing around, so I made something up on the spot.  This is what I came up with.  One of the great things about this is that it is all stuff that you might find at a food bank, if you are really down on your luck and haven't gotten your garden going yet (again, I'll make the offer that if you want to get a garden going and genuinely can't afford seeds, let me know, and I'll dip into my supply and help get you started.)

Southwest Casserole

 2 cups cooked rice
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 onion, diced
2 cups corn
2 cups canned tomatoes w/ liquid
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix together rice, beans, onion, corn, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, and garlic in a 2-quart casserole.  Top with shredded cheese.  Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving reading your blog! Most of my cooking, especially meatless Mondays, is throwing stuff together. I think I'll put a post together later about that. Also, yes, a lot of people can't afford seeds! A gardener friend from our old church had a wonderful "seed ministry" going for a long time, where they asked the congregation to bring veg seed packs to church. Then on a fine spring day, a troupe of green-thumbed church members would go to a very depressed area (southern Ohio) and help the peopled start their own gardens. That inspired me to start my own. Anyway, just wanted to shout out and say hi!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always amazing to me the food we can cook out of pantry. It really allows our creativity to come through. I know my family would love this recipe.

    ReplyDelete