Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My <$1000 Wedding


Today is my 8th wedding anniversary! I can't believe I've put up with that man been happily married that long! I won't lie--it's been rough at times, especially two years ago when he was injured and unable to work for almost a year, as well as other troubles I won't bore you with, but I think our relationship has only gotten stronger as a result.

We've never had a lot of money, but that's okay.  We more than make up for it with the love our family shares.  Even at the beginning, we started of with having to have a cheap wedding.  I've heard many a friend mention that they "have" to wait years to marry their fiance, so they can save enough money to have a nice wedding.  I don't get it.  My wedding was nice enough to keep me, my husband (like he actually cared about the wedding), and both of our families happy...without breaking the bank!

And you know what?  We are just as married as couples that spend the $22,000 that the "average" (seriously!) wedding cost the year we got married.  Actually, probably more married, since I wouldn't be surprised if more of those couples got divorced in the years before now because of the strain of that extra financial burden!

Since it was 8 years ago, I don't remember exactly what was spent on what, so if you want to know more details about any part, I'll be happy to try to dig that aspect out of my memory!  I can tell you that the lilacs were blooming, the cake was lovely (my mom made it), the food was good (my mother-in-law and her friend made it), my dress was beautiful (my sister-in-law made it), and it was at a meaningful location (my grandparents' house when I was growing up).  And most importantly, our wedding license got signed and we celebrated it with friends and family.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary!
    We had our reception in the church gym, so I totally get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!

    We, too, had a cheap wedding. Not quite as cheap as yours, but we did quite well spending less than $5,000.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a wedding with 75 guests 3 years ago and spent $3,400- including lodging for two guests that flew in, my dress ($118 at David's Bridal sale), and Hubby's wedding ring!

    Knowing what I know now, I could have had a KILLER wedding for about half that. But it was an incredible day!

    Happy anniversary!

    Dusti
    www.wheresdusti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. No kidding about if I knew then what I know now! I was even thinking about that with my wedding this morning! If I told my MIL to STFU with her input about the way things "should" be, that it was MY wedding, etc, etc. it would have cost a lot less. Instead, I let her have her way on a lot of things (hair, shoes, and food-wise)...but I made her foot the bill for that part ;-)

    ReplyDelete