Sunday, May 15, 2011

Baked Chicken on Rice (or how to make 1 chicken breast feed a whole family)

During my last freezer cleaning expedition, I found a couple of frozen chicken breast halves.  They weren't even big ones.  Just tiny little ones.  But, using my powers of thriftiness (and invoking some of my homemade cream of mushroom soup), I managed to feed the whole family with them in a super tasty way.

I thought about posting this recipe the other day, on my anniversary, because it was supposed to be served at my wedding reception, but because of electrical problems (my mother-in-law didn't make it ahead of time like she was supposed to and shorted something out at the old farmhouse that we had the wedding and reception at, so it didn't cook right), it didn't end up being served, so I decided to hold the recipe for another day.  Appropriate, since we had the failed leftovers from our wedding for many, many other days!

Baked Chicken on Rice

2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup uncooked white rice
1 cup fresh mushrooms

Cut the chicken into chunks.  Mix all ingredients in a casserole dish.  Cover tightly and bake at 350 (don't need to preheat the oven) for 1 hour.  Remove the cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.  Let cool 10 minutes before serving.

This pairs well with green beans and/or peaches.

*if using canned cream of mushroom soup, you can adjust the amount of soup to use it up rather than letting it go to waste.  Just reduce the amount of milk to maintain the same amount of liquid. You can also reduce the amount of cream of mushroom soup if your homemade stuff is a stronger flavor than you'd like in this.  Just add more milk to compensate.

1 comment:

  1. Great recipe! btw, I started a new link up for sharing healthy ideas, suggestions, going "green" tips, etc. and I hope you and anyone else interested will join me this Wednesday! (Healthy 2day Wednesdays) Have you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete