Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Perfect Storm of Procrastination

I'm having a heck of a time getting anything done these days.  Between sweltering heat during the day, my son's baseball games and practices in early evenings, and the swarms of mosquitoes in the later evenings, I'm really struggling to get what I need to get done done!

I suppose I could go to bed before 3am, so I could get up earlier in the morning and get things done then, but I really don't see that happening.  In order for that to happen, I'd have to convince the kids to go to bed earlier so I could still get some quiet time to get things done at night and occasionally even relax with a good book!  Making this happen would probably be the thriftiest way to handle this dilemma though.

Or I could break down and get a spray bottle to make my homemade mosquito spray.  I probably could find one for a buck or two somewhere, but I'd probably have to leave my podunk town and, with gas around $4 a gallon, that doesn't happen often.

A third option is available.  It is the laziest and least thrifty of the solutions I've come up with so far, but that's okay.  I could brave the mosquitoes, at least until they swarm so badly that I can't see anything in front of me besides mosquitoes like they did last night, then, when I finally surrender and come inside, soothe them with Motherlove's green salve.  My family has fallen in love with this stuff this summer (I really, really need to make some mosquito spray, don't I?  Grrrr!).  Even the toddler knows how great this stuff for soothing mosquito bites.  The other day, my husband left the jar down where he could get it and he opened it and smeared most of the jar's contents all over himself, seeking relief.  One of the ingredients is plantain, which I mentioned as a remedy for mosquito bite relief before, but you don't even have to know what plantain looks like to use this, let alone worry about whether it was ever sprayed with pesticides (this product is all organic) or if a dog pooped on it before popping it in your mouth to chew it up.  With this stuff, just open the jar and smear it on for instant relief.  It's more transportable in a purse or diaper bag than chewed up plantain too.

Poor baby got eaten up and was looking for relief
Unfortunately, since the little man got into it the other day, I'm almost out of the green salve and don't have any money to get more until my husband's next payday, so I think I'm going to go with an even lazier and cheaper solution--wait until the mini-heatwave breaks.  Toward the end of the week, after suffering a couple more 90+ days, the temps are supposed to return to a more normal temperature of mid-70s.  It might rain, but rain doesn't sting, so I can handle that.  Maybe I can get completely caught up on my gardening and yardwork before the next heatwave hits...so the mosquitoes don't carry me off.  Or maybe I'll actually get a spray bottle at some point too.

No comments:

Post a Comment